Colas has extensive experience of runway construction and rehabilitation at some of the world’s busiest airfields and at some of the most remote airfields, within the commercial and military sectors.
The challenges of each airfield project are unique. Colas has the skills and expertise necessary to ensure that for each project the best solution is identified and delivered efficiently for the client.
Bespoke, Innovative, Quality Solutions
We specialise in providing airside infrastructure without interrupting scheduled services or airfield operations, and always aim to offer the most innovative, green, and cost-effective service in the industry. We have specialist equipment and skills in-house, as well as access to the expertise in the global Colas network.
Landside or airside, safety is at the forefront of everything we do. Colas is OHAS 18001 accredited and our extensive experience of working in the airfield sector means that we understand that safety comes first.
Our innovative approach has been a core part of our business for the last 100 years. Our technical teams both in the UK and worldwide develop innovative solutions, and our local teams tackle problems with an innovative, collaborative approach.
Working collaboratively with our clients, we are able to draw on the expertise within our business to deliver solutions that maximise innovation and sustainability.
Our Airfield Maintenance teams carry out works on civils, military and private airfields in the UK and abroad. Using specialist materials we undertake:
- Flexible concrete repairs which flex with the pavement movement, thereby reducing cracking and lasting longer.
- Asphalt repairs which require no compaction so small sizes repairs can be undertaken without FOD risk.
- Extruded fuel and non-fuel resisting joint sealing works for concrete and asphalt.
- Unique recessed joint repairs between asphalt and concrete.
- Asphalt preservation where asphalt surfaces are treated with a proven preservative to extend the life of the surface, hold together surfacing fines and reducing FOD at a fraction of the cost and time associated with a resurfacing intervention.
- Concrete protection and preservation.
- Ironwork reinstatements.
- Linemarking, including captive blasting for removal of old markings.
We design, construct and maintain a wide variety of the infrastructure outside airfields, and can also provide traffic management systems and other services to help keep the airport running smoothly.
- Construction of goods storage infrastructure and surface car parks
- Installation of temporary car parking surfaces
- Road construction, maintenance and recycling
Our commitment to sustainability runs deep, and goes far beyond just the materials we use.
- Our approach includes logistics, site operations and methods
- Our Deep Recycling and Repave surface recycling systems extend the life of runways, and improve safety
- Pen Tack offers a simple solution to runway rejuvenation enabling us to extend runway life and reduce capital expenditure costs
- Our environmental calculator software provides measurable energy and carbon savings against conventional construction